We set out to discuss planting Spring Food Plots with Jacob Womack of Mossy Oak Gamekeepers, but this interview turned into much more. Jacob takes us from the ‘what’ to plant, how to plant, and all of the different varieties that you might consider in between. We also get into planting equipment, minerals, trailcams and a variety of other topics.
Thanks for listening and supporting the show!
Search “Hunting” on Spotify!
We are on YouTube!
What We Learn In This Episode:
- Spring Food Plots
- Equipment- what do buy first, how much, where to buy it
- How to get started
- Benefits: Winter recovery, antler development, doe lactation, overall herd health
- Spring Forage Planting
- Legumes (soybeans, cowpeas, lablab, etc.)
- Grains, etc. (corn, grain sorghum, sunflowers, etc.)
- Spring planting double duty for deer nutrition
- Perennial maintenance
- Clover (residual from fall)
- Mowing & herbicide
- Why deer need minerals in the spring (antler growth, lactation, replenishing)
- Spring food plots and mineral stations are ideal for trail cameras
- Food plots on timber leases
Show notes, resources, links:
Please leave us a review!