Adam and Mike start this episode off talking about the type of property they hunt on. Adam will be taking a trip to a new state this year and uses the podcast to break the news to his wife. Mike is hoping to gain access to a new piece of private land in the coming weeks.
The interview is with Lindsay Thomas Jr, editor of Quality Whitetails magazine, the journal of QDMA, and the QDMA’s Director of Communications. He has been a member of the QDMA staff since 2003. Prior to joining the staff of QDMA, Lindsay was an editor at a Georgia hunting and fishing news magazine for nine years. Throughout his career as an editor, he has written and published numerous articles on deer management and hunting. He earned his journalism degree at the University of Georgia.
They discuss the 2017 Southeast Deer Study Group Meeting and the latest research projects that were presented there. The Southeast Deer Study Group meets annually for researchers and managers to share the latest information on the most important wildlife species in North America. These meetings provide an important forum for the sharing of research results, management strategies, and discussions that can facilitate the timely identification of, and solutions to, problems relative to the management of white-tailed deer.
What We Learn In This Episode:
- What is the Southeast Deer Study Group?
- The effect coyotes have on deer behavior.
- The best method to manage coyote populations.
- How to pinpoint your local peak rut using trail cameras.
- Explanation of the crazy rut timing in the south.
- QDMA Deer Steward classes
- How does QDMA help with deer conservation?
Show notes, resources, links:
Follow Lindsay Thomas Jr.
- Quality Whitetails Magazine (6 issues)
- QDMA Logo Hat
- QDMA Grunt Call
- QDMA Aging & Scoring Bucks DVD
- QDMA Vehicle Decal
- Membership Card
- Access to Seminars, Short Courses, and More
Please leave us a review!